Can I get insurance on a mobile home that was written up as a total loss on my insurance?

UPDATED: May 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get insurance on a mobile home that was written up as a total loss on my insurance?

A tree fell on my mobile home and was totaled. My insurance company paid it off as a total loss. I am fixing it up and wonder if I can get insurance on it with another company?

Asked on May 29, 2011 under Insurance Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is not a legal question, per se; there is no law preventing any insurer from insuring anything (well, anything that's not illegal--like illegal drugs). The issue is *whether* an insurer will provide insurance on it, and the only way to find out is to contact insurers and see if they will offer you a quotation or write a policy. Just be careful, as you do this, to completely and honestly divulge the loss history; if you misrepresent or omit critical information, then you may be committing insurance fraud and could yourself incur liability (civil, and possibly even criminal) as well as invalidate any coverage you did get. Try contacting multiple insurers--you allowed to contact as many as you like, and maybe one will  offer you coverage. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption