CanI get into trouble with the law for having sex with my 14 year-old girlfriend?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI get into trouble with the law for having sex with my 14 year-old girlfriend?

I am 18 and also a female. Could I be called a pedophile if her homophobic parents find out?

Asked on July 27, 2011 North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, I would try and stay away from that situation.  Besides the fact that North Carolina is one of those states that seems to be really against same sex unions at all, you are over the age of majority and you are having relations with a child albeit one of the same sex as you.   You would be charged with those crimes that have to do with influencing minors and sexually molesting minors and you would - if convicted - be forever registering as a sex offender.  You are way too young to be labeled as such for the rest of your life.  So please, stay away from her.  It will not result in anything good for wither of you.     

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption