Can I get in trouble for drugs in my car I didnt know about?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get in trouble for drugs in my car I didnt know about?

My boyfriend has been driving my car. Last
night, I pulled the fuse panel off and found
suboxine not prescribed to him. Could that
have gotten me in trouble if pulled over and
my car was searched? We have kids, they
have been in that car too I had no idea this
was going on

Asked on March 21, 2019 under Criminal Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you are not responsible for drugs that weren't yours and which you did not know were there. Practically, if there was evidence that these were your drugs or that you knowingly allowed them to be there (and so "possessed" them or assisted someone else in their possession of the drugs), you could certainly be charged and convicted--the issue is, what would the evidence show? Since the drugs were hidden in your car, if your boyfriend refused to take responsibility for them, the authorities could easily have believed they were yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption