CanI get in trouble for taking a bedroom set and dinning table that my ex-boyfriend andI bought while living together?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI get in trouble for taking a bedroom set and dinning table that my ex-boyfriend andI bought while living together?

Asked on December 23, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It all depends from whom the bedroom set and dining table were purchased for that was taken. Meaning, if you and your former boyfriend gave these articles to some third person and you then took them without permission, you very well could be charged with theft.

If you took the items that were in possession of your former boyfriend, you could also could be facing criminal charges. If these items were in your possession and you subsequently moved with them, your former boyfriend could make some claim with law enforcement over what was taken. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about the situation you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption