CanI get in trouble for underage drinking going on around me if I’m not partaking?

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI get in trouble for underage drinking going on around me if I’m not partaking?

say I’m at a party or somthing and people are drinking but I’m not, and the cops come. Can I get in trouble even though I wasn’t breaking any laws?

Asked on April 22, 2009 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If by "getting in trouble" you mean being taken in for questionning, arrested and put on trial, the answer is yes.

You may be acquitted but let's face it, from the police on down everyone is skeptical. What kid caught in that set of circumstances has not claimed "I didn't have anything to drink" or "I didn't make noise." And are you sure one other jid at the party will not say "I saw X take a drink."And it all boils down to who does a jury believe.

By the time your folks get done with paying for a lawyer, they'll be real happy too. To me that's real trouble.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption