Can I get full custody of my 2 boys if I have a steady job and he hasn’t held a job longer than 3 months?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get full custody of my 2 boys if I have a steady job and he hasn’t held a job longer than 3 months?

Also, he had left us more than once already. He gets short tempered espescially if he is woken up from sleep. He says that he deson’t remember all the hatefulness and mean and aggressive actions he does. He admits that he cannot handle the 2 boys by himself. I don’t want child support and do want him to be able to see the boys.

Asked on January 5, 2013 under Family Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There are two types of custody, which are physical and legal.  Physical custody means the parent with whom the children live.  Legal custody means making decisions about your sons' education, health care, etc.

Although it is not possible to predict the outcome of a particular case, you have strong arguments  in favor of being awarded physical and legal custody since you can provide a stable home environment and your husband has admitted that he can't handle the two boys.  A court will base its decision on awarding custody by considering what is in the best interests of the children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption