Can I get evicted after being only1 month behind in rent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get evicted after being only1 month behind in rent?

I moved 2 months ago and gave first month’s rent and a and 2 month deposit; it came out to $6500. I was diagnosed with stage 3 esophageal cancer 9 days later. Since I, told the landlord

to bare with me she has since come by unannounced and walked through my apartment. She called me the other day threatening/harassing me telling me that I need to get out or her sons will remove me physically. My apartment has roaches and things are broken but have not been fixed.

Asked on July 5, 2016 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be evicted if you are only 1 month behind on rent. Your lease, whether written or oral (often called "verbal") is a contract: as soon as you fail to make a payment when due, you are in breach of contract and your breach allows the landlord to evict you. The law does not require landlords to let tenants live in their property without paying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption