Can I get compensation if my Ipod exploded and burned in my bag for no apparent reason?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get compensation if my Ipod exploded and burned in my bag for no apparent reason?

Before I left to a friends house, I charged my Ipod and tossed it in my handbag and on my way smoke started coming out of my bag. I opened the car door and tossed my bag on the street to see what was burning so I went ahead and put my hand in there and got slightly burned. I realized it was my ipod that was burning.

Asked on July 21, 2010 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) Contact Apple--they may be willing to provide compensation for you.

2) If Apple is not willing to compensate you, your only option for compensation would be to sue them over a defective product (product liability)--assuming that the iPod was defective. If the product was defective, you could recover some or all of: a) any medical costs; b) any lost wages; c) other property destroyed by the iPod; d) the iPod itself. Of course, lawsuits can be expensive, and product liability suits can be difficult for a layperson--you would very likely need an attorney. Unless your losses exceed $1,000, it is probably not worth discussing the matter with a lawyer, though if one will provide a free initial consultation, there's no harm in having that first discussion.

3) Check on the web to see if other people have had the same problem; if they have, possibly there's a class action suit you could  become part of.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption