Can I get arrested at DMV for not completingprobation regarding avandalism charge?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get arrested at DMV for not completingprobation regarding avandalism charge?

I have a warrant for not completing probation requirements for a vandalism charge about 5 1/2 years ago. I need to get a new ID card in the state but I am afraid that if I go into DMV I will be arrested there. Will they call the authorities?

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The department of motor vehicles in your state does not have the authority to arrest you for failure to complete the terms of your probation. It is not a law enforcement agency. It can only suspend a driver's license or refuse to issue one to a person.

The department of motor vehicles will not even know if you failed to complete your probation so it will not call any law enforcement concerning you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption