CanI get arrested at 18 and charged for somethingthat Idid whenI was 16?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI get arrested at 18 and charged for somethingthat Idid whenI was 16?

I was in foster care arrested for a verbal assault; they let me go the same day. Then 2 years later they arrested me for the same crime, saying I had a warrant for my arrest. They never showed any proof of a warrant. So I was 18, an adult, but they took me to the juvenile detention center. The courthouse said that I couldn’t access my juvenile records because they were sealed as soon as I turned 18. So how could there have been a warrant from when I was 16 on my adult record?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the criminal system in every state in this country, it is entirely possible for you to have been arrested at the age of 18 for an oustanding arrest warrant issued when you were 16 years of age. The reason is that due to internal proceedings of law enforcement due to budget reductions and the like and perhaps mishandling, arrest warrants for a particular person can end up being delayed for years. Such seems to have happened in your matter.

Even though your juvenile record may be sealed an outstanding arrest warrant for a minor is never sealed.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption