Can I get annulment of my year and a half long marriage?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get annulment of my year and a half long marriage?

I was drunk and got married to one of my friends. I never loved him and we never consummated the marriage. We were young and stupid and shoul have taken care of it sooner but we didn’t. I never planned on staying with him and I entered another relationship soon after. My boyfriend and I now have a child and want to get married but I need to get an annulment first.

Asked on August 25, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

California is very conservative with annulments.  You can read the State Court's website about annulments here:

If you want to get married and want things to go quickly you should just file for dissolution, have him served via a "Notice and Acknowledgment of Receipt."  You can file a stipulated marital settlement agreement--indicating you each keep your own stuff and no one has to pay spousal support to the other.  Six months after a judge accepts the settlement agreement, then you will be single and can get married to your boyfriend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption