Can I get an felony expungment as a minor?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get an felony expungment as a minor?

I was convicted of a felony when I was a minor over 20 years ago. I do believe it was left open for future expungement. I have not been convicted of any crime since. I would like to get all my rights back (i.e. gun rights to go hunting with my kids, etc.).

Asked on February 9, 2017 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

 My research suggests that in WI, you are eligible for an expungment of a felony if the judge ordered expungement upon successful completion of your sentence. Otherwise, if you were sentenced before 07/01/09, the record of your conviction may be expunged only if you were under age 21 at the time of the offense and if the crime was a misdemeanor. At this point, you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney in your area as the law on these matters can change.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption