Can I get an anullment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get an anullment?

I got married at age 16;I am now 18 and considering a divorce. I have text messages about me committing adultery. My husband is aware of the adultery and has threatened me about a divorce but I have no job yet. I read online that you can get an immediate divorce if it is based on adultery. I would really like some advice on what is the best option to do. Can I get the marriage annulled since I was only 16 and my parents had to sign me to him, a 34 year old man, or should I go through the divorce process?

Asked on September 26, 2018 under Family Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your parents "signed" that you could marry him, then the marriage was legal and valid: your state (Louisiana) allows 16 year olds to marry with parental consent. Since the marriage was valid, you can't get an annulment, though you can divorce for adultry: divorce is therefore your option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption