Can I get an annulment rather than a divorce?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get an annulment rather than a divorce?

My husband lied about his age on our marriage certificate so I was hoping that would void our marriage.

Asked on July 27, 2011 Maine


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

To file for an marriage annulment in ME, you must claim one of the following grounds:

  1. Fraud - If your spouse misrepresented him or herself to obtain your consent for marriage.
  2. Mental Incapacitation - You are entitled to an annulment if your spouse is mentally incapacitated.
  3. Consanguinity - Marrying someone related too closely to you by blood.
  4. Underage Marriages - Minors getting married is a ground for annulment.
  5. Impotency - You can obtain an annulment if your spouse is impotent.    

Based on the limited facts presented, grounds 1 and 4 may or may not be applicable to your situation.

Just know that annulments are not easily granted and typically take longer and are more expensive than a divorce. At this point you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption