Can I get alimony if I divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get alimony if I divorce?

My husband left me 8 months pregnant, broke our lease and left me with no money. He has been the sole provider for over a year. I can’t get a job yet because my baby is due in 3 weeks . What can I do?

Asked on August 29, 2011 Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek help to go to court to get a temporary order of support for you and once the baby is born, for the baby as well.  Would you qualify for legal aid?   If you will then I would suggest that you go and seek their help.  Also try a women's services office in your area.  You need to make sure that you and the baby are taken care of especially for the next few months.  He is obligated to pay child support and at least temporary spousal support until such time as you can have the baby and get back on your feet.  Please try and maintain some composure in all of this as you have your health and the health of your baby to worry about.  Seek some support from family and friends right now and surround yourself with only good people.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption