Can I get alimony after being divorced for 2 years?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get alimony after being divorced for 2 years?

Asked on June 25, 2015 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Even if someone does not ask for alimony during the divorce proceedings but later finds need for support, it is possible to revisit the issue. This can be due to the fact that the divorce was entered into hastily or the spouse was under duress at the time. However, in order subsequently be awarded alimony, most jurisdictions require the former spouse in need show "changed circumstances". And it will take a significant showing of cause; it must be a substantial change in personal/financial circumstances and not of the requesting spouse's creation. Additionally, the more time that has passed since the divorce was finalized�will also be a factor considered.

Since family laws change frequently and vary from state-to-state, you should consult directly with an attorney. After going over all of the details of your situation, then can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption