Can I get a refund for an automobile purchased throughan on-line siteif it has a dead motor?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a refund for an automobile purchased throughan on-line siteif it has a dead motor?

I purchased a used pick up truck for $5,500 for my son. The very next day it had to be towed because the motor is dead according to the mechanic. Do I have any rights to get the money back for the vehicle even if it was sold “As Is”?

Asked on July 28, 2011 Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to read the purchase agreement for the vehicle you bought as well as any written warranties that were provided you for the vehicle by the seller. These documents typically control your rights as a purchaser for the vehicle. You bought the vehicle "as is" Since you did, was it inspected by a mechanic before you took possession of it?

Since the vehicle was sold "as as", the only way you could cancel the purchase agreement and get your money back is to show that the seller knew that the vehicle had problems with it before you bought it and the seller did not disclose the problems to you before the sale.

You should contact the seller and see if the seller is willing to make good on the sale since significant problems arose right after you tookpossession of it.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption