Can I get a pro bono lawyer for a DWI?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a pro bono lawyer for a DWI?

I was charge with a DWI in NH and I have no clue what I need to do as this is my first time ever having a legal problem. The prosecutor offer me 9 months license suspension, a $620 fee, plus classes and I refused because I can’t be 9 months without a license. Also, since the case is in NH and I live in MA, what do I need to do with the DMV? Do I need to contact NH and MA DMV? I have 3 kids and I need to drive them to school and all their activities.

Asked on July 26, 2011 Massachusetts


Stan Helinski / McKinley Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You've got a complicated set of facts for which you really need a lawyer.  To answer your question, Mass will honor the NH revocation (without about a one - two month grace period).   You can apply for a hardship license that's good for up to 12 hours a day, but not if you refused the chemical breath test (breathalyzer) (though I have heard the RMV has given a hardship under some of these circumstances).  I really don't know who would handle this on a pro bono basis.  Sounds like it should be tried, at least administratively in NH, which is tough to do on your own.  Call the NH Bar Association and see if they have recommendations for a pro bono service. Otherwise, I would call Mark Stevens in Salem NH who specializes in OUI's and who is excellent.  When it comes time for your Massachusetts Registry hearing, you can call me--I'll at least give you some "do's" and "don'ts."   Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption