Can I get a photo ID card if there is a bench warrant issued for me due to unpaid fines?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a photo ID card if there is a bench warrant issued for me due to unpaid fines?

I got a DUI a couple years ago and did all the required jail time, probation, etc. Everything was going well, had a job, and kept up with my fine payments. Then I lost my job and shortly after my wallet was stolen along with my photo ID card and SSC. I haven’t been able to find work since due to the inability to prove citizenship. So am I able to still get a photo ID card without being arrested so I can find a job and resume paying on my fines, and get the bench warrant cleared.

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to obtain an identification card at the Registry.  Typically, in Massachusetts, if you do have a warrant, the RMV will not arrest you.  They will instruct you that there is a warrant and tell you where the warrant is out of so that you can clean it up.

That being said, you should go to the court that you owe the fines to and remove the warrant.  Where it is money owed, they may extend the time for you to pay, or give you options such as community service to complete in lieu of fines. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption