Can I get a judge to clarify a jury’s charges after divorce hearing in final and they have been dismissed?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a judge to clarify a jury’s charges after divorce hearing in final and they have been dismissed?

My former spouse was given the financial responsibility and/or benefit of the house and I was ordered to file a quit claim deed. No one, however ordered that my ex take me off the mortgage. She has neglected to make the mortgage payments and it is now affecting my credit. Can I go back and ask to judge to recharge the jury with clarifying that the mortgage was supposed to be refinanced in her name to avoid this kind of problem. Seems to me all marital assets should have been dissolved and this is still lingering on. The lawyer we had wants $2500 as a retainer to even begin discussion

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this coutnry, once a jury has been dismissed by the court with respect to a matter it was deliberating the judge is without any power to reconvene the jury. As in your situation, the court has the inherent power to enforce the jury's decision with respect to your dissolution matter.

The problem with taking you off the mortgage securing the loan of the family home is that the court simply cannot do so. For the court to do so would be prejudicial to the lender holding the mortgage. The only way you can be taken off the mortgage of the home is if it is sold and the loan paid off, the loan is refinanced, or the loan is paid off in full.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption