How canI get a divorce fast?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI get a divorce fast?

We have been apart for 8 months; we have no kids together; nothing to split or fight over. Can I get my last name back? He lives in LA; I live in NY.

Asked on July 29, 2011 New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation. Lucky for you that New York has finally enacted a no-fault divorce law so that you can file for divorce without alleging fault on either party and for irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.  As long as you meed the residency requirements under the law (a resident of the state and county for 6 months - you are a resident, correct and not just here temporarily?) then you can file.  I am assuming here that the divorce is uncontested and that he will accept service - especially being out of state - and that things will go smoothly.  If that is the case then seek help and it should be pretty straight forward.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption