Can I get a case dismissed if both officers in the vehicle at my stop are not there on the court date.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a case dismissed if both officers in the vehicle at my stop are not there on the court date.

I had gotten pulled over at 1155 p.m. getting off a viaduct onto a steep
hill with no one on the roads. just getting off the viaduct, I had just
seen the cop and realized it was just too late. When I got pulled over, I
realized that there were two officers in the vehicle. The one in the
passenger seat got out while the one in the driver’s seat didn’t.

Asked on May 26, 2019 under General Practice, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, they just need one witness to your traffic offense in order to prove their case; there is no legal requirement for additional witnesses, and no legal requirement that all officers at a stop or incident must appear in court. Certainly, two witnesses are better for them than one, they are not required to have both there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption