can i force siblings to buy me out of property lett to 9 of us by my father 2 years ago since i cannnot keep up with expenses? or am i liable

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i force siblings to buy me out of property lett to 9 of us by my father 2 years ago since i cannnot keep up with expenses? or am i liable

2 lake houses left to us(9), one the family has on the market, the other they use on a constant basis and have no intention of selling. Costs(property taxes, utulities, lake dues, etc..)are split between 9 of us. i cannot afford to contribute. from day one i have let them know i am not financilally capable of contributing. i have asked costs to be divided such that i only have to contribute to the house that is on the market and am told no. at this point i am about $2,000 in debt for the houses and today they say they want to replace air conditioning unit in the house they use.

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming that all your names are on the deed.  Although I hate to say this, stop paying the expenses on the Lake house the family uses.  And don't go there either.  Keep paying the expenses on the other house to protect your inheritance.  Then tell your siblings that you want to be bought out of the family house, if that is what you want.  Under certain circumstances you can force a sale if property has become a financial burden.  When you are on a solid ground financially go and see an attorney as to your options.  But remember: these are your siblings. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption