Can I force my neighbor to remove some recently planted trees that are too close to my septic field?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I force my neighbor to remove some recently planted trees that are too close to my septic field?

My neighbor’s tenants planted 3 clumps of trees less than 20 feet from my septic tank leach field. In fact, 2 of the trees are right on the property line. Can I force them to remove the tree, because I am concerned about roots getting into my septic system?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have some easement over your neighbor's property where the clumps of trees were planted, you have no legal or factual right to force him or her to remove them with respect to concerns of roots getting into the septic field. The trees are on the neighbor's property. There is no difference if the trees grew from seeds brought in by birds or other animals.

I suggest that if you have concerns about roots getting into your septic filed that you place a treatment in your system once a month to prevent such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption