Can I force my ex-fiance to refinance a car that we bought together?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I force my ex-fiance to refinance a car that we bought together?

We got a car together and both of our names are on the title and loan. Is it possible to force her to refinance the loan and get my name off of the car or is there a method to get myself removed from the vehicle/loan?

Asked on May 14, 2016 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, you cannot get tyour name removed from the loan unless all parties to the loan agreement--that is, you, she and the lender or financing company--all agree. And there is essentially no likelihood the lender would agree to remove you, since dong so only hurts them: it reduces the number of people who have to pay the loan and whom it could sue for the money. And you cannot force someone on a loan to agree to a refinacing against their will. So unless she voluntarily agrees to refinance in her name only, your only real option is to offer to buy out her share of the car, become sole owner, then either refinance in your name solely and/or sell/trade in the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption