Can I file for unemployment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file for unemployment?

I am a nanny. I first started working for this family in the mom’s doctor’s office. I was only there for a couple of months when she needed a nanny and remembered that I have done that in the past and have quite a bit of experience. I just asked for a yearly raise but she didn’t agree to it. She immediately became defensive and offered to put me in the office for a few hours during the week. I typically work 40-45 hours. I declined her offer and gave her a 2 week notice. She will only allow me to work a few hours in the office until the the

resignation but I am not an office employee any longer. Is there something I can do?

Asked on January 19, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you gave her notice, then you are not entitled to unemployment benefits. Unemployment benefits are for involuntary separation from employment: being laid off or terminated. When you voluntarily leave employment--i.e. quit or resign--even if you feel it was good or well-justified reasons, you are not entitled to unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption