CanI file for bankruptcy on back child support?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI file for bankruptcy on back child support?

I owe $50,000 in back child support; the kid is well over 18 so none of it is for current support. The $250 that they take every month doesn’t even cover the interest and now that I’m on unemployment and only getting $800a month, all it does is make it impossible to survive. I live in NV and the order is out of OR. They are not going to be homeless or starve if they don’t get paid but I will if they do get paid.

Asked on April 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you, there are a few types of debts which are *not* dischargeable in bankruptcy, and child support is one of them. So while bankruptcy may help with other debts, it won't help with this one. (It also wouldn't help with alimony or spousal support.) Below I've attached a link to a page which describes discharges and ennumerates the common kinds of debts which are not discharged.

You may be able to settle the debt with your spouse if you can show that paying all of it is an impossibility and can come up with a plan to pay some, but a settlement is voluntary. It's certainly worth the conversation, however.

Here's the link:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption