Where do I file assault charges if I was pushed in to a hotel pool by a guest that was intoxicated?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where do I file assault charges if I was pushed in to a hotel pool by a guest that was intoxicated?

Hotel located in MS; i live in TX.

Asked on August 28, 2011 Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Assault is intentionally placing one in reasonable apprehension of an immediate battery without consent or legal privilege.  Although assault can include physical contact, physical contact is not required.  Assault only requires being placed in reasonable apprehension of an immediate battery (physical contact).

Battery is the harmful or offensive touching of the person of another without consent or legal privilege.

Assault and battery are both civil (lawsuit) and criminal matters.

You could sue the guest for assault and battery.  A lawsuit can be filed where the plaintiff lives or where the defendant lives or where the incident occurred.  You could file your lawsuit in either TX or MS or in the state where the drunken guest lives.   Your lawsuit would include separate causes of action (claims) for assault and battery.  Your lawsuit should also include a separate cause of action (claim) for negligence and should name the hotel as well as the drunken guest as defendants.  The hotel is liable for negligence as the property owner for failing to supervise or keep drunken guests away from the pool.

For convenience in filing documents with the court and court appearances, it would be preferable to file your lawsuit in TX where you reside.

As for the criminal charges for assault and battery against the drunken guest, those charges would have to be filed in MS where the assault and battery occurred. 




IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption