Can I file an harassment suit ifmy manager constantly degrades me and puts me down in front of other employees/customers?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file an harassment suit ifmy manager constantly degrades me and puts me down in front of other employees/customers?

He also “jokes” around saying that I will get fired.

Asked on December 23, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the employer is harassing you on the basis of a protected category--for example, race, religion, age over 40, sex, disability (your state might add additional categories, such as sexual orientation or national origin)--this is illegal and you would have a legal claim or cause of action. However, only harassment on the basis of specifically protected characteristics is illegal; an employer may, unprofessional and unfair though it is, harass you or degrade you on any other basis, including feeling that you are lazy, not liking your taste in clothing or music, feeling that you constantly do things wrong (or least not the way the employer wants them done), or simply not liking you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption