Can I file a wage garnishment inone statefor a settlement that was awarded in another state?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a wage garnishment inone statefor a settlement that was awarded in another state?

We won a domestic judgement in TN. The debtor filed for slow pay, after the slow pay was filed she only made one payment (3 months ago). She has since moved to Texas and I read where you can’t garnish wages in TX. The main corporate office for her company is in MN (don’t know if that means anything).

Asked on August 5, 2011 Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you can enforce an out of state judgment for levy and execution purposes against the judgment debtor you have in your situation depends upon whether Tennessee has a sister state agreement with Texas for full faith and credit for out of state judgments.

If there is an agreement between the two states for full faith and credit as to out of state judgments, you need to register your Tennessee judgment in the State of Texas and begin levy and execution proceedings.

The best way to answer your question would be for you to consult with a Texas debt collection attorney about whether your Tennessee judgment would be afforded full faith and credit in Texas. Whether or not the main corporate office for the debtor's employer is in Minnesota would not assist you in try to collect on your judgment.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption