Can I file a report on someone who pulled a shot gun on me and beat my car with it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a report on someone who pulled a shot gun on me and beat my car with it?

I picked up a friend who was drunk; he said he would pay me gas money. When I got to his house he said he had to go inside and get the money, so I waited. When he came back out he had a shot gun, opened the passenger door, pointed the gun at me, slammed the door and then hit my car multiple times with the gun. Is there any legal action I can take?

Asked on May 29, 2016 under Criminal Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) You can and should file a police report for assault (pointing a gun at you is assault) and vandalism/destruction of property (damaging your car).
2) You can sue him for the cost to repir your car, as well as for any other direct, out-of-pocket costs or losses you incur due to his actions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption