Can I file a police report regarding a civil judgment, if thedefendantfails pay the ordered judgment amount?

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a police report regarding a civil judgment, if thedefendantfails pay the ordered judgment amount?

We signed a contract to build a home with the local builder and gave a deposit of 15% of the purchase price. He finished 80% of the construction and then refused to sell the home to us. While still under contract he placed the property on the market for 20% higher price than our contract price. When we agreed to take the deposit and move on; he sold the home for the higher price and did not give our deposit back. Judge ordered the builder to pay our money plus costs and the builder is not obeying the judge’s order.

Asked on January 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, you can not file a police report.  Now, you have already sued the builder and the judge has ruled in your favor, correct?  And you have obtained a decision for damages against the builder, correct?  Then you have to "reduce" the decision and order to an actual judgement that is signed by the judge and recorded in the courts.  Then you can "execute" or collect on the judgement.  You can do this in different ways: garnishment of wages (if he is in business for himself then this is probably not a good idea as it won't work), levy on his personal property, levy on bank accounts, file a lien on his personal property - whatever works for you.  If he is hiding assets - placed in a business name or someone else's name - you may have to go back to court.  Then seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption