Can I file a lawsuit or do I have a weak case?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a lawsuit or do I have a weak case?

I worked for a very renowned company based in
Dallas, TX as a consultant. I had an affair with a
married man and so am I. It was getting very
unpleasant and awkward so I resigned but my
manager insisted I stay and work it out. When he
asked me what the reason i just claimed personal
issue. However after a week I thought I should be
honest and tell the truth. He reported it to HR. I was
let go last Friday but the guy is still there. Is it just
because he is a full time employee and I am not that
I have to face the consequences and not him? Or in
such cases will both parties be let go? This has
caused immense pain and my professional
reputation has been marred. I know what we did was
immoral and not acceptable but to be the only
person punished is unfair.

Asked on June 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no law requiring both parties to be punished, or prohibiting only one from being termianted: it is up to employer discretion. Since you were a consultant and he was a full-time employee, it is not unreasonable to let you go while retaining him, so whether you feel it unfair or not, there was most likely nothing legally improper about this: there was a valid basis for treating you differently.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption