Can I file a lawsuit if someone is using photos of me saying theyre my agent but theyre not?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a lawsuit if someone is using photos of me saying theyre my agent but theyre not?

A old friend of mines is using my photos on
Facebook saying that theyre are representing
me as a modeling agent but theyre not. There
is no contract in place nor was there ever a
verbal agreement.

Asked on February 17, 2018 under Business Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your friend for invasion of privacy.  Invasion of privacy includes the appropriation of one's name or likeness for commercial purposes without consent.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would include emotional distress.  You may be able to recover punitive damages which are a substantial amount to punish the intentional wrongful act of your friend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption