Can i file a gap claim after a settlement?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i file a gap claim after a settlement?

Wife was hit from behind. Other driver was at
fault and cited. Other drivers insurance is offering
a little over 6 thousand for the total loss. This will
cover our title loan but not enough to cover the
remaining balance on the vehicle lease. The
insurance company said if we use our gap to
cover the lease they will not pay us our

Asked on April 25, 2017 under Accident Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you have settled the claim, you generally cannot then seek additional compensation from anyone. While you need to check the terms of any proposed or actual settlement agreement to be sure, those agreements typically include language to the effect that a certain payment (the settlement amount) is in full satisfaction of the claim, or that you give up your right to sue or seek any additional compensation. If the agreement does not restrict your ability to seek other compensation, you should be able to, so long as the total of the settlement and what you are seeking does not exceed the amount to which you otherwise would be entitled (e.g. the fair market value of a totalled car plus any GAP coverage you have). Note that you cannot "double recover," so you can't get more than the fair market value plus (if you have GAP) having the GAP coverage pay off any loans, no matter how many different parties or insurers pay.
Note also that unless you sued and won, getting a judgment in your favor requiring the other side to pay, any payment by the other driver and/or his/her insurer is voluntary, and the other side or their insurer can put limitations on it: that is, they can say that if you submit a GAP claim, they will not settle, and that would leave you having to sue in order to try to get money from them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption