Can I file a complaint and charge my daughter’s friend for driving my vehicle without my authorization?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a complaint and charge my daughter’s friend for driving my vehicle without my authorization?

Daughter had my authorization to drive my car, and while at a party her ‘friend’ drove off in my car and was then pulled over by police (no accident) and claimed my daughter gave them permission to drive my property. They were supposed to wait in the car while my daughter went inside momentarily. Daughter (licensed driver) was charged for allowing a minor/unlicensed driver drive vehicle, possession of marijuana (recovered inside car) possession of paraphernalia after unlicensed driver claimed all of it was my daughter’s.

Asked on June 3, 2014 under Criminal Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can not sue your daughter's friend because you have no damages as a result of her borrowing the car (no damage to your car).  If anyone has a claim against the girl it would be your daughter.  Your daughter first and foremost needs a good criminal defense attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption