Can I file a complaint against my supervisors?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a complaint against my supervisors?

I am a contractual employed Public Safety Officer for BCCC in Baltimore, Maryland. A few weeks ago I submitted an application to try and become a permanent officer here at the college. I have 2 supervisors within the department that I later found out have personal issues against me for no reason whatsoever. One of those supervisors is also on the interviewing committee.

Asked on August 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If there are some civil service rules in place covering this position that give you some right to file a complaint, you have whatever rights--and only those rights--given you by those rules. Otherwise, under the law generally, there is no right to file a complaint about a supervisor; you can send one in, of course, but they can ignore it or even retaliate against you for doing it. Personal bias against an employee or candidate is legal under the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption