can I file a claim for lost wages or do I have to sue my employer?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can I file a claim for lost wages or do I have to sue my employer?

My employer called me 2 hrs before my shift and told me I would be doing a different job now, I asked for a meeting to have this change explained and I was told that I was going to be getting a better position, I asked my employer to put it in writing I was told I would have it the next day….I never got anything in writing and was never put on the schedule, I checked in regularly but got the run around the person who got my job is the best friend of a employee 22 years old who was playing grab **** with in front of me all the time, It made it very hard to work with this person because she didn’t have to do her job and new how to work it, two or three weeks before the job change I went to my boss and told him that it made it very hard to work with her because of his conduct and I did not like seeing it as well, after he made negative commits as jokes for a few days, he didn’t fire me or lay me off he asked me to please stay and I recorded the meeting I went two months and he asked me to do some bookkeeping for him and now after 6 weeks he has not paid me I told him I would not be doing anything for him anymore and let him know what a bad position he put me in I lost over $5000 in wages just waiting for this great job he had for me what should I do?

Asked on August 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have not been getting paid for the work that you have been doiung for your employer for more than six (6) weeks in violation of the stated pay period for work, you need to consult with a representative with your local department of labor and/or a labor law attorney as to what your legal recourse would be.

Under the laws of all states in this country you are entitled to be paid immediately for the work that you have done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption