Can I file a bad faith complaint against my insurance company?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a bad faith complaint against my insurance company?

I had house fire and insurance company never investigated shoddy work. I have been here now about a year now and 2 weeks after being back in our home we had to pay $20,000 for new water lines. 6 mo and the new carpet has started coming up all over. They didn’t replace 7 windows in the house put the wrong gutters on the home threw away our furnishings. The list goes on.

Asked on February 28, 2018 under Insurance Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless the contractors were actually W-2 employees of the insurer, the insurer is not responsible for the quality (or lack thereof) of their work. The contractors themselves (who are their own businesses if not employees of the insurance company) would be responsible for negligent (that is, unprofessionallh careless) or fraudulent work, damaging or disposing of your belongings. You would sue the contractors, not the insurer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption