Can I fight a ticket regarding a rollover?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I fight a ticket regarding a rollover?

The roads were slick I was going around a corner my fuel pump cut out then came back which created a surge in power. The surge resulted in the vehicle sliding into the curb, I over corrected and the vey rolled. The

officer that wrote me a ticket for careless driving never asked if I was OK, he just kept asking me the same questions repeatedly changing it slightly each time trying to get me to give him the answer he wanted me to. I felt like he was coercing me. He still never checked to see if I was ok just told me that I was definitely getting a ticket that night. He then told me that based on what he was seeing he believes I was on something. The other officers on scene didn’t suspect that I was on anything; the medics on scene did not suspect so either. I have requested the police report of which I have yet to hear anything about. What are the odds of me fighting this? I mean it’s my word against the officers and I can’t get the police report.

Asked on December 17, 2018 under Accident Law, Wyoming


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have effectively no chance of "fighting" this: as you point out, it is your word against an officer's and in my experience, the courts always believe the sworn, trained, and "neutral" (no personal stake in the outcome) officer over a driver trying to avoid a ticket. And as you also admit in your question, you "overcorrected," which comports with common, everyday experience that a vehicle does not roll over unless the driver does something careless (or it is hit by another vehicle)--a judge can rely on his own experience driving to conclude that logically, you just have been careless.
What you may be able to do, if you otherwise have a good driving record, is get the prosecutor to offer you a plea to some lesser offense (less points and/or a smaller fine)--prosecutors will often do this. You would meet with him/her the day of court, when you get there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption