Can I evict co-owners wife from property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I evict co-owners wife from property?

I obtain an option on a property and
entered into an equity share agreement
with my brother to arrange financing and
purchase…we lived in the property from
2001 til 2009…when I moved out…He
recently got married and now his wife
has kicked him out…and refusing to
allow him to enter the home…can I file
eviction notice to protect our interest
under our agreement…she is not on

Asked on June 13, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't. That your brother co-owns the property and lived there with his wife makes that his marital residence. Neither spouse can remove the other from the marital residence without an order from Family Court in a divorce case. (This means that she can't kick him out, either: he can go back in if he wants, and she has changed the locks, etc., he can go to county court and get a court order, which the police or sheriff will help enforce, letting him in.)
Because the spouse of a property owner is involved, there is no eviction unless as part of a divorce case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption