Can i do something about bad road work?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i do something about bad road work?

There is a storm drain right on the line of the freeway 4 to 5 inches deep that I hit merging onto berm and almost threw me from motorcycle but I held on and now I can’t hardly use my right arm and left not much better. I took measurement and


Asked on September 26, 2018 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can potentially sue for your medical costs, lost wages (if you missed or can't work), and, if there are long-term or permanent consequences (e.g. permanent or long-term disabilty or impairment), "pain and suffering." BUT to win, you'd have to prove (e.g. with expert testimony from highway/road experts) that the placement or design of the drain was "unreasonably dangerous" or negligent--if this was a reasonable way to place the drain that is commonly done or which road/highway experts approve of, then nothing was done wrong and there is no liability.
Consult with a personal injury attorney: many provide a free initial consultation to review a case, and you can verify this before making the appointment. The lawyer can determine what your case might be worth, how strong it is, and what it would take (e.g. in terms of cost) to pursue it--you can then make an informed decision about whether to sue or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption