Can I do anything to get the money back that someone was supposed to refund to my check card but never did?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do anything to get the money back that someone was supposed to refund to my check card but never did?

I bought a puppy for $800  about 9 months ago. I returned the puppy the next morning and the man who sold me the dog said he would refund the money back to me. I didn’t think anything of it thinking he would refund my money. Then in December I noticed the money was never refunded and I got in contact with the dog breeders and they weren’t returning phone calls. I am not sure if there is a certain timeframe where I can file any legal actions.

Asked on July 24, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would write the person a letter reminding him or her that you returned the puppy on a certain date and that you were promised the $800 refund nine months ago with no payment. Keep a copy of the letter for future need. In the letter, mention a deadline for the return of your money.

If the refund is not made in the time frame demanded, your recourse would be to bring a lawsuit against the seller of th dog, most likely in the small claims court. In small claims court, you can appear over a dispute before a person acting as a judge for the dispute where attorneys are not present.

If the seller is a member of some dog breeder's association, you might make inquiries as to him or her failing to refund you the promised money.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption