Can I do anything about a wrongful arrest and criminal charge that happened 15 years ago?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do anything about a wrongful arrest and criminal charge that happened 15 years ago?

I was arrested and charged with defending myself and my family in my own home when a “friend” barged in and began attacking us. I was really young at the time and had no clue about my rightsbut it plagues me to this day. I was told if I pled guilty they would drop the charges to a misdemeanor and the charge would be dropped after 7years. However, the charge is still on my record and it’s recently caused me to be denied on a housing application. Is there anything I could do? Should I speak with a criminal law attorney? I’m in Summit County, OH.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have an old misdemeanor conviction on your record that you want off, possibly you could file a motion to expunge the conviction. An expungement proceeding is a proceeding filed in the criminal court where the petitioner seeks to have a prior conviction eliminated from his or her permament record.

There is no guarantee that the petition would be granted but factors for granting the petition are how old is the conviction, how serious was the crime, what has the person done since, and has there been any subsequent problems with the law.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about this expungement suggestion. Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption