Can I do anything about a

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do anything about a

I received 2 job offers 3 months ago. I declined the first, even though it was significantly higher pay, since the second was more in line with my desired career path. After declining the first, my contact at the second company told me that my offer was pending a background check. However, a week later, she told me my offer was

Asked on December 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, District of Columbia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no legal recourse in this case unless you had an actual writen contract guarantying you the job--if you did, you can enforce it. However, when there is no contract, all employment is "employment at will." This means, among other things, that an employer can delay, suspend, rething, change, or rescind a job offer at any time, for any reason, without the employee having any rights or recourse, the same way that an employer can terminate an employee at will at any time, for any reason, without the employee having any recourse. When there is no written contract, the employer has free discretion to decide if and when to employ someone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption