Can I delay an appearance date?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I delay an appearance date?

They are asking for my financials and I don’t own anything, although I do insure my parents truck as I have use of it. Not sure what to do. Appearance date is next week. Even if they get a judgment it will be non-collectable.

Asked on January 4, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may ask to adjourn the case. Normally, you  first ask the other party to consent (or agree) to an adjournment; if they will not, you can make a motion to the court for adjournment if you believe you have good grounds--e.g. illness; unavailability of a key witness or evidence; etc. If you don't have a good reason, your motion is likely to be denied; contact the court clerk first, to ask about whether you seem to have good grounds, how to make the motion, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption