Can I contract a NV RE agent for a one time only sale?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I contract a NV RE agent for a one time only sale?

I am not listed. A realtor wants to show my property to a prospective buyer. If there
is no sale can I cancel my contract with the agent? Will they be able to receive
commissions on a then future sale with a different agent I have a new contract with?

Asked on March 19, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can contract with a realtor for a one-time or one-possible-buyer-only sale, but you have to make that clear in the contract FIRST, before signing it: that is, you need the contract with the realtor to state it is only for one showing or one buyer or etc. If you sign a standard realtor contract with them, you will be bound to it and cannot get out of it after the first showing.
It is very unlikely that a realtor would agree to this, but if they do--again, if you get it agreed to in writing in advance--it is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption