Can I continue to work as a nurse and have my medical marijuana card?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I continue to work as a nurse and have my medical marijuana card?

I am a licensed practical nurse and
have been recommended to start on
medical marijuana.

Asked on May 9, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If one of the rules which nurses must follow in your state is to not commit crimes (i.e. you can lose your license or be suspended acts), then you can't use even medical marijuana, since regardless of its legality under OK law, marijuana is stiill illegal under federal law (it is a CDS, or controlled dangerous substance, under federal law), and so using it is still a criminal act even if legal under your state's law (since federal law applies everywhere). So depending on your state's licensing standards, this could be an issue.
Also, even if your state's licensing standards are not a problem, note that  any institution (e.g. hospital) which gets any federal funding in any way could not employ someone using a drug illegal under federal law, so you could face some restrictions on employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption