Can I contest a speeding ticket in a school zone?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I contest a speeding ticket in a school zone?

I was recently issued a ticket for speeding 39 mph in a school zone. I live in a community adjacent to the school and usually don’t use that route at that time of the day. Unfortunately, on this specific day I had to and was a little distracted and could have missed the flashing light. Although, I have lived in this area for 3.5 years now and on several occasions have seen those lights operate at random times even when school was off, so I have my doubts on whether or not it was active at that time. Coming back to my ticket, I noticed that the officer completely misspelled my car make as

Asked on August 29, 2019 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, it is unlikely that these technicalities will result in the dismissal of your ticket so long as the officer is prepared and willing to testify as to what you did and where you were ticketed. The law does not invalidate cases based on unimportant errors (like mispelling what kind of vehicle you were in) or "typographic" errors (like wriiting northbound rather than southbound) and the court has the power to amend, or correct those errors. So long as the officer will testify as to facts that would support the ticket, it is very unlikely that the errors describe will defeat the ticket.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption