Can I contact a judge concerning a cash judgement against me in covenant and land use lawsuit?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I contact a judge concerning a cash judgement against me in covenant and land use lawsuit?

I sold 10 acres to the plaintiff that had access
to a runway. He built a hanger so he could
build his own plane. 9 years later he still has
not finished his plane and never used the
runway. He sued for covenants that never
existed. The judge ruled against the covenant
but awarded a judgement of 64,800 to help
him recoup the 108,000 he claims he paid for
the hanger because he never got use the
runway. My atty has been very lax so I’m on my

Asked on April 4, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can appeal the judgment against you--that is the proper way to seek review of an adverse decision. You can't contact the judge unilaterally, or on your own--you have to include or "copy" the other party on communications, since the law prohibits "ex parte" (or by only one party) communication with the court; and even if you do include the other party on the communications, simply asking the judge to rethink his decision will not cause him to do so. Rather, you need to go to a "higher level" judge--the appeals court--and ask them to overturn or modify the decision. While it certainly would be to your advantage to retain an attorney to help you with the appeal, as long as lawsuit was against you personally (and not by an LLC or corporation through which you owned the land), you legally could do the appeal yourself, on a "pro se" (as you own attorney) basis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption